- This utility works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 7, including 64-bit systems.
- One of the following capture drivers is required to use NetworkTrafficView:
- WinPcap Capture Driver: WinPcap is an open source capture driver that allows you to capture network packets on any version of Windows. You can download and install the WinPcap driver from this Web page.
- Microsoft Network Monitor Driver version 2.x (Only for Windows
2000/XP/2003): Microsoft provides a free capture driver under Windows
2000/XP/2003 that can be used by NetworkTrafficView, but this driver is
not installed by default, and you have to manually install it, by using
one of the following options:
- Option 1: Install it from the CD-ROM of Windows 2000/XP according to the instructions on Microsoft Web site
- Option 2 (XP Only) : Download and install the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools. One of the tools in this package is netcap.exe. When you run this tool in the first time, the Network Monitor Driver will automatically be installed on your system.
- Microsoft Network Monitor Driver version 3.x: Microsoft provides a new version of Microsoft Network Monitor driver (3.x) that is also supported under Windows 7/Vista/2008.
- The new version of Microsoft Network Monitor (3.x) is available to download from Microsoft Web site.
- You can also try to use NetworkTrafficView without installing any
driver, by using the ´Raw Sackets´ method. Unfortunately, Raw Sackets
method has many problems:
- It doesn´t work in all Windows systems, depending on Windows version, service pack, and the updates installed on your system. On some systems, Raw Sackets works only partially and captures only the incoming packets. On some other systems, it doesn´t work at all.
- On systems that ´Raw Sackets´ method works properly, it can only capture IPv4 TCP/UDP packets. It cannot capture other type of packets, like the other capture drivers.
- On Windows 7 with UAC turned on, ´Raw Sackets´ method only works when you run NetworkTrafficView with ´Run As Administrator´.
- Added option to choose the displayed speed unit: kB/Sec, KiB/Sec, MB/Sec, MiB/Sec, or Mbps.